Last Updated Date: April 1, 2023
This Notice at Collection describes how Troutman Pepper Hamilton Sanders LLP and its wholly owned subsidiaries (collectively, “Troutman Pepper”) collects, uses, and retains information that relates to California residents (“Personal Information”) both online and offline, including in connection with the services we provide, our main website (www.troutman.com), and other websites, mobile applications, and digital communications (such as emails) (collectively, our “Services”).
This Notice at Collection does not apply to information about individuals that Troutman Pepper maintains in the context of our legal representation of clients, which is separately governed by our client agreements and professional responsibilities.
Please visit our Privacy Notice for additional information about our information practices.
If you have a disability that prevents or limits your ability to access this notice, please contact us as at 800-255-8752 or email@example.com. We will work with you to provide this notice in an alternative format.
1) Personal Information We Collect.
The types of Personal Information that we collect about you depend on how you interact with us. This section describes the types of Personal Information we may collect and its sources.Troutman Pepper does not collect any “sensitive personal information,” as that term may be defined by applicable law.
a) Information You Voluntarily Provide to Us. We collect Personal Information that you voluntarily provide to us. This includes, for example, Personal Information you provide when you contact us (including when contacting us on behalf of an organization with which you are affiliated); when you request alerts, event invitations, newsletters, or other informative materials; or when you register for a webinar or event, fill out a form, respond to a survey, or otherwise communicate with us.
The categories of Personal Information that we may collect directly from you include:
- Identifiers, such as your name, physical address, email address, telephone number, bar number, signature, government-issued identification number, and account credentials (e.g., username) if you access or use a Troutman Pepper online service, or other similar identifiers.
- Professional and Educational Information, such as your current or previous employers, your job title, or other information about the organization with which you are affiliated. You might also provide information about your professional qualifications or your education, such as your bar number, degrees, fields of study, institutions attended, professional memberships, qualifications, and certifications.
- Health Information, such as accessibility requirements and dietary restrictions.
- User Content, such as comments or other material that you post to our social media pages, blogs, or other forums.
- Preferences, such as your stated interests, how frequently you wish to receive our publications or communications.
b) Information We May Generate or Collect Automatically. We may generate or collect automatically certain types of Personal Information when you interact with us and our Services. The type of Personal Information we collect in this context may include:
- Identifiers, such as information that uniquely identifies you, such as your name, email address, and username.
- Device Information, such as information pertaining to the device through which you interact with our Services, such as your IP address, type of device, operating system and version, MAC address, user settings, or browser type.
- Commercial information, such as records of services you obtained from us, including on behalf of an organization with which you are affiliated.
- Internet or Other Electronic Network Activity Information, such as your browsing history, search history, and information regarding your interactions with us and our Services, which may include pages that you visited while using our Services, the links you click, the types of content you interact with, the frequency and duration of your activities, and other information about how you use our Services.
- Geolocation Information, such as the region or general location where your computer or device is accessing the internet.
- Audio and Visual Information, such as your voice and likeness as captured in photographs, video, or audio recordings, if you attend our events, visit our offices, or leave us a voicemail message.
- Inferences drawn from other Personal Information we collect about you that may relate to your preferences, areas of interest, or other matters.
- Cookies. Cookies are small text files placed in device browsers that store preferences and facilitate and enhance your experience.
- Web Beacons, Clear GIF, Pixels Tag, and Script. These Collection Technologies are small transparent image files or lines of code to record how you interact with our Services. For example, the use of these technologies may allow us to record that a user has visited a particular web page or clicked on a particular feature. We may also include these types of Collection Technologies in emails to understand whether messages have been opened, acted on, or forwarded.
Our use of Collection Technologies generally falls into the categories listed below. Please note that these are the main ways of classifying cookies, although there may be other cookies that will not fit neatly into these categories or may qualify for multiple categories.
|Strictly Necessary||Cookies that are necessary for our websites to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to your actions or request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in, or filling in forms.|
|Functional||Cookies that enable our website to provide enhanced functionality and personalization based on your interaction with the website (for example, to store your site preferences and choices, such as username, region, and language).|
|Analytics and Performance||Cookies that gather data on how visitors use a website or other digital properties (for example, page visit counts, idle time by a user on a page, bounce rates, and load speeds).|
For information on how to manage your cookies preferences, please see Section 5(c) (Managing Cookie and Other Collection Technologies Preferences) of our Privacy Notice.
c) Information We Collect from Other Sources. We may obtain Personal Information from other sources, such as our clients, employees, and business partners, or from business contact databases and enrichment services. We may also receive information about you from social media platforms, such as when you interact with us on those platforms or access our social media content. We may collect information about you from publicly available sources, such as public social media profiles, publications, and other websites or materials available through search engines. We may collect the following categories of Personal Information from these other sources:
- Identifiers, such as name, telephone number, postal or email address, and social media identifiers.
- Professional and Educational Information, such as your occupation, employers, business contact information, education (such as your degrees, fields of study, and institutions attended), languages, and professional memberships, qualifications, licenses, and certifications.
- User Content that you make available online, such as your social media posts or publications.
2) How We Use Personal Information.
We use Personal Information for a variety of purposes, including:
- to provide you with access to the Services, including to operate, troubleshoot, and improve our websites, mobile applications, and other digital properties.
- to respond to or notify you, including when you contact us with a comment, request, or question; register for an event or webinar; request legal services; or otherwise to send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, and other administrative messages.
- to contact you and expand/maintain our list of contacts, including to send you announcements, invitations, publications, and other information or materials that may interest you.
- to personalize your experiences with us, including to remember your interests and preferences, and facilitate interactions and introductions.
- for research and analytical purposes,including to understand how you access and use our Services and to make improvements to our Services.
- for marketing purposes, including to communicate and evaluate our events, publications, and other offerings.
- for our business purposes, including to operate and improve our business and Services, internal administration, and data analysis; and for any other business purpose permitted by law.
- for legal compliance and safety purposes, including to maintain the security of our clients, employees, and property; respond to court orders, lawsuits, subpoenas, and government requests; support legal and regulatory compliance; detect, prevent, and respond to actual or potential fraud, illegal activities, or intellectual property infringement; and notify you of any other legal or safety issues.
- for purposes that you have otherwise consented to, including at the time your Personal Information is collected.
We do not sell or share your Personal Information under any circumstances.
3) Retention of Personal Information.
We retain your Personal Information for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Notice at Collection, unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law. Please note that in many situations we must retain all, or a portion, of your Personal Information to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce our agreements, to protect against fraudulent, deceptive, or illegal activity, or for another one of our business purposes.